Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trip to the zoo and Snake attack

We had some events to talk about to everybody.

Approximately two weeks ago Ann and I went on a date to a restaurant in Benson. Ann has to now meet me in Benson or I have to drive home by 6:30 and then we would have to drive back to benson so we did this way to save time. After arriving home with some groceries, we encountered a suspicious noise as we were taking the groceries into the house. Both of us thought that someone had turned on the drip system and that could explain the noise. But it wasn't that because no one had turned it on. The other possibility was that it was a deadly Rattlesnake (okay I didn't have to use deadly, but it does help the story a bit).

The rattlesnake happened to be 4 feet away from the stairs that we use to go into the trailer house. We were able to enter the house and leave without too much danger as the snake appeared to only be 2 feet in length. Ann turned on the outside light. In retrospect I figured that I should have gotten a nearby shovel and just whack it to death. We didn't do that, but called a Cruzer, a sister in law to me, and she proceeded to try and toss huge stones at it. The snake took one hit and slithered into some weeds around a nearby tree. We had to then get a vehicle close for better lighting. I eventually did get the aforementioned shovel and started to carefully remove the weeds. We found the snake again and by this time cruzer had procured a hoe and proceeded to whack at the head. The snake finally slowed to a point that I was finally able to take the point of the shovel and cut his head off. Phew! Ann and Cruzer then told me to bury the snakes out in back to avoid local coyote and havalina activity during the night. I finally got some exercise. :) Also it did pump the adrenaline some to be face to face with a live rattlesnake after hearing so many stories.

Unfortunately we did not take pictures.

Last Saturday, the company that I work for hired the Reid Park Zoo after hours for the workers and their families' enjoyment. The zoo was quiet and peaceful, but not a lot of animals were active after the park's normal closing time. We did get to see the polar bear playing with a ball in the water. Those animals are huge! Laur'l and I got to feed a Giraffe and we got to eventually see a tiger and some jaguars. The zoo prepared a meal for us which was quite good. My family and I sat next to a Senior Tax Manager and Ann was pleased to start a friendship with her. We were able to help the manager when she experience a low blood sugar moment familiar to those who suffer from Diabetes and help with her nephew. After the meal we sat down in a grassy area to watch the movie Madagascar. It was so worth the heat and trip into Tucson on a Saturday. Our family had so much fun and we are waiting for the next event that will happen on Halloween with the Company.

That is all to report.

3 comments:

Caralee said...

What a crazy snake adventure!

Colbert said...

Hello Ann and Family, I found John on Facebook and he helped me find your blog. Sound like you and your family are doing great. I glad to hear it. Your a good person and deserve a good life with a wonderful family. I would love for you to read our blog and catch up on our crazy life. Not alway a happy read, so read at your own risk. If you are interested send me your email address and I'll invite you. rcolbert1@hotmail.com Rebecca (LaMarca) Colbert

Caralee said...

Hey it says you have a bun in the oven at the top of your blog. Congratulations! When is the baby due?